Yotam Ottolenghi is one of best chefs in UK. I must say that I like also his cookbooks and his recipes are healthy and interesting.
Try his shortbreads :).
Yotam Ottolenghi recipe from “The Cookbook” with my changes
- 8 cardamom pods
- 200g unsalted butter. cold
- 25g ground rice
- 240g plain flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 40g icing sugar
- 60g shelled pistachio nuts
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tbsp vanilla sugar
1. Crush cardamom pods, then remove the skins. Ground them to a fine powder.
2. Combine together: cardamom powder, ground rice, unsalted butter, plain flour, egg yolk, icing sugar and salt. Do not overwork dough.
3. Roll dough with your hands into a log 4cm in diameters. Wrap it in cling film and leave it in the fridge for at about 1 hour.
4. Chop the pistachios finely but leave some bigger bits in it. Scatter the pistachios on a flat tray.
5. Roll dough in the pistachios.
6. Preheat the oven to 150C/Gas Mark 2
7. Cut the log into slices about 1 cm thick. Lay them out on a baking tray lined with baking parchment, spacing them at least 2 cm apart. Dust them with vanilla sugar.
8. Bake the biscuits for roughly 20 minutes. They must not take on too much colour but should remain golden.
9. Keep cookies in a sealed jar for about one week.